Are you worried about the ever-increasing risks of a global food crisis? Believe it or not, a “doomsday” seed vault can help mitigate these risks! This article explores the futuristic yet practical survival seed vault and its multiple usages.
Features of the Seed Vault
The Himalayan Seed Vault is an advanced and efficient facility for seed storage, preserving the genetic diversity of plant species.
It has the following incredible features:
- It can store up to 500,000 seed samples, including wheat, rice, barley, and a variety of vegetables.
- The facility is designed to have temperature, humidity, and pest resistance to ensure long-term storage.
- It has building stubs and tunnels for easy expansion and growth.
- The vault is built in the Chang La region of Ladakh, India, where it is protected by natural mountain barriers and secured by the Defense Institute of High Altitude Research.
- The seeds are duplicated and stored in other gene banks, as a backup in case of disasters or equipment failures.
- The seed vault is managed by the National Bureau of Plant Genetic Resources
In addition, the vault is open to access from agricultural organizations, conservation projects, disaster recovery, and emergency management teams. However, the unique feature of the Himalayan Seed Vault is that it includes indigenous communities in its list of depositors.
To optimize the use of the vault, it is suggested that Indian companies partner with the seed associations to fund the operational costs and incorporate technological advances for better data management.
Image credits: emergencypreparedness.page by James Jones
Importance of the Survival Seed Vault
The importance of preserving the diversity of crops cannot be overstated. The survival seed vault, a futuristic yet practical solution, takes this responsibility very seriously. Here are its key points:
- Ensuring food security: Seed banks such as the Indian seed vault and the Defence Institute of High Altitude Research store duplicates of various crops, including apricots, cabbage, carrots, radish, potatoes, and tomatoes. These banks provide yields that are not only temperature-resistant but also humidity-resistant, ensuring global food security against disasters.
- Mission critical: Maintaining the diversity of crop seeds is essential to the health of the world's food supply. Seed banks are protected areas managed by agricultural organizations where the genetic diversity of plants is conserved for future use in breeding.
- Security: The Svalbard Global Seed Vault, built in Norway, is managed under a tripartite agreement by the Norwegian government, the Crop Trust, and the Nordic Genetic Resources Centre. The storage capacity of this facility contains over 900,000 sample crops. Seed banks are secure, disaster-proof facilities that help mitigate the risks of climate change, natural disasters, accidents, funding cuts, sabotage, war, and disease.
- International cooperation: In 2004, the International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture established a Multilateral System for Access and Benefit-sharing, alongside a Black Box arrangement. The treaty, commissioned by the FAO, aims to promote sustainable agriculture and guarantee equal access to plant germplasm. Moreover, the Crop Trust provides funding and establishes an International Advisory Council for the maintenance of these seed banks through donations, grants, and investments.
- Preserving crop diversity for a growing population: With the global population projected to exceed nine billion by 2050, the survival seed vault provides an efficient and effective way to preserve crop diversity, providing scientists and farmers with the opportunity to study and breed crops that are adapted to changing climatic conditions and wild weather.
It's noteworthy that the Svalbard Global Seed Vault has a range of crops, including legumes, which are critical to feed a growing global population. In conclusion, the importance of the survival seed vault is crucial as it serves as a defense against the loss of crop diversity, a potential disaster that could occur due to the effects of climate change, natural disasters, and other risks. The seed bank represents a significant investment contributing to the world's future food security.
Image credits: emergencypreparedness.page by Harry Washington
FAQs about Futuristic Yet Practical Survival Seed Vault
What is a Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault?
A Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault is a secure facility that preserves the world's plant genetic resources and helps ensure food security in the face of challenges such as climate change, crop failure, or mismanagement. It is constructed with temperature and humidity resistance, and provides a geographically diverse collection of seeds that can be used to restore or improve agricultural production around the world.
What is the importance of temperature and humidity resistance in seed vaults?
Temperature and humidity resistance are essential attributes of seed vaults, as they help keep the seeds viable and maintain their genetic diversity over time. A seed's ability to remain viable is related to its moisture content and the temperature at which it is stored. Seeds stored in the Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault must be protected from temperature fluctuations and humidity changes, and therefore, the facility is created with these attributes in mind.
What inspired the development of the Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault?
The idea for the Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault was inspired by the need to preserve the world's food supply for future generations. It was developed in response to threats such as climate change, crop failure, and the mismanagement of genetic resources, which could have a significant impact on global food production.
Who is involved in the construction and creation of the Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault?
The construction and creation of the Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault was a collaborative effort between international agricultural organizations, scientific and technological experts, and gene banks. The facility was supported financially by multiple organizations and governments, including the CGIAR, FAO Commission, USDA, etc.
Has there been a feasibility study conducted on the Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault?
Yes, a feasibility study was conducted before construction of the Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault began. The study examined the security, accessibility, and functionality of the facility, and concluded that it was both feasible and necessary to create such a seed vault.
What security measures have been implemented to protect the seeds stored in the Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault?
The Futuristic yet Practical Survival Seed Vault is a highly secure facility that minimizes access risks to protect its contents from theft, damage, and environmental threats. The facility is designed to be an international security facility, with surveillance cameras and motion detectors, as well as airlocks and blast-proof doors. Additionally, the seeds are stored in specially designed containers with etched film and Piql film technology for their safety, thus secure access to the seeds is granted to authorized personnel only.